Friday, March 25, 2011

Another day of beautiful weather!! This is the 4th day in a row I think... if that's even possible. I'm not complaining though! Love the start of spring..

I took a nice little walk up to the center of Islington today to pick up my photo prints (300 of them, free thanks to buying a new camera), and then do some quick grocery shopping at Sainsbury's. But as I'm leaving Sainsbury's — keep in mind it's about noon on a Friday afternoon — I run into a little gang fight of the sorts. Two groups of guys are yelling at each other, hitting each other, whipping each other with their belts and throwing crates of fruit at each other. Meanwhile, everyone is out and about because like I said, it's noon on a Friday afternoon, so it caused a HUGE scene. But it was rather scary, because they were taking up the whole street and running into cars and moving toward the group of us spectators (a mom and her baby had to like scram out of the way... I felt so bad).

Several thoughts were running through my head.

#1- This is quite exciting to watch.
#2- Where's the police?
#3- Where's my notepad and camera? I'm a journalist. I need to report this.
#4- This is actually getting pretty scary.
#5- Where's the police?
#6- I'm gonna get out of here. But really, where's the police?

20 minutes after the fight started, I could hear police sirens. But the guys in the fight... were long gone. It was pretty absurd that it took the cops THAT long to get there, even when everyone around me was calling them. Islington is actually a really safe, nice area of London, and I've never ever felt unsafe here. So it was surprising to see such a calamity in the middle of the day, in such a public area (literally outside the grocery store, restaurants and shopping). But it was also really frustrating and kind of nerve wracking that the cops weren't on top of their game.

anyway.

Marquette plans UNC in the Sweet Sixteen tonight!!!!!! I can't imagine what campus is going to be like tonight... I wish I was there to watch the game with everyone. Instead, me and few Marquette kids at City U. are heading downtown to catch the game at the Sports Cafe. Should be fun!

GO MARQUETTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment