Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chelsea: my dream neighborhood.

Key word "dream"



Yesterday, Jackie and I ended up in London's wealthiest borough while on our hunt for My Old Dutch, a well-known pancake/waffle place. The flats and shops and cafes and restaurants are just so perfect. The people all look so nice and they all have their little dogs and nice cars and nice lives.. ugh. I wonder how many famous people live around there..



So we finally made it to My Old Dutch and I had the most amazing belgian waffle. indescribably delicious. and then we headed over to the Science Museum in South Kensington. If I haven't said it 10 times before, I will say it again. Dear London, thank you for having free museums. Otherwise... I'd have a lack of things to do here and would be going to say hi to Big Ben every day. There is no lack of museums in London so I have no excuse for "being bored."

Science Museum was pretty cool. Jackie and I bypassed all the industrial stuff and went straight to the outer space exhibit. And seeing as Jackie and I sometimes act like aliens with each other (our secret's out), it was totally an exhibit made for us. "How awesome would it be if there was something to beam us off the ground and make us float?" -Jackie. (Jackie, do you read this blog?)

Then there was the "Who Am I?" exhibition which was also really neat. It let us be interactive, which is always a plus. Although, I had to compete for the interactive screens with a bunch of little kids. They won. The exhibit was literally all about humans.. the brain, personalities, gender, psychology stuff, fears, etc. The psychology nerd in me loved it.

South Kensington is museum haven. Right in front of the Science Museum is the Natural History Museum, which I still need to go into. Then next door is the V&A... one of my favorite museums.

Natural History Museum...



I think we only spent a little over an hour at the Science Museum, but we were both exhausted. Even the smallest things take so much energy these days. I feel like such a lazy bum, but you can't blame me. I've been on the go 24/7 for the past 4 months.

Last night I went to this club called 02 Academy, which is right up the street from the dorms. Super convenient. There are two rooms.. one plays more indie (independent) music while the other is more recent hip-hop/pop/Billboard Top 10 music. But then they were also playing all this American music... Michael Jackson, 50s/60s tunes, Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing', and a whole load of other pretty American tunes. And... it made me so happy! I was like, heck yes we have good music. Even though when I first arrived in London back in January, I totally hated America and thought it was just so awful in comparison to everything here... over the semester I've learned to appreciate my American-ness and be really proud of the US. I know once I get back, everything is going to seem pretty lackluster and not as magical as London/British things... I still gained some American pride while over here. You know what, I like being from America. America is pretty cool, actually. So there.

America will (hopefully) welcome me with open arms in 8 days. Yes, 8 days. AHHHH. I know I said I was looking forward to going home.. and I definitely am, but but but but but my study abroad experience CANNOT END! noooooooooo. this is something I've been waiting my whole life for and has been the best 4 months ever and I'm totally living in London right now and have traveled all over Europe and it.can't.be.over. In 8 days, not only am I leaving London.. I'm leaving behind the best 4 months of my life. Obviously I have photos and 5 scrapbook albums worth of keepsakes.. but I just can't believe it's over (almost). Why do people get to live in London forever? So jealous.

Thank heavens I'll be spending my summer in the Big Apple...


Until the end of July, my life will continue to be full of awesome international people, great food, tons of museums, beautiful green space (Central Park), way too many tourists, expensive living && fashionable people everywhere. must. keep. up.

but, it will also be full of new friends and faces (shout out to the ASME interns!), a phenomenal internship, and a 3 hour bus ride home on the weekends if need be.

and GREAT NEWS. Lauren Fishbune, one of my best friends in the whole wide world, just booked her plane tickets to NYC to be there with me on my birthday. I cannot wait to cause a scene in the airport when we see each other.

So 8 more days. What will I do?

1. Tomorrow is Easter... Jackie, Liz, Jordan, Betsy and I just did our grocery shopping and will be preparing the most delicious Easter brunch tomorrow. On the menu: french toast, eggs, fruit salad, potatoes, Orange Juice, yummy tea we bought at Whittard's...some delicious pastry thing Betsy is whipping up, and Mimosa's. YUM. I'm also patiently awaiting the Easter package my mama sent me. Bring on the Starburst jellybeans.

2. Museums? Still gotta go to the Natural History museum, and might as well check out the V&A again while I'm there.. also have to go into Harrod's and wish I had more than what will probably be 5 pounds in my wallet.

3. Markets.. Borough market aka free food samples, back to Spitalfields to buy some trinkets, Brick Lane for my first and last Indian food of London

4. Parks... Hyde Park, Regent's Park, St. James Park. I will bring my ipod and possibly listen to the Beatles while I stroll around looking like a local.

5. ROYAL WEDDING!!! I'll be taking some photos/writing a few blurbs for the Worcester T&G back home (my last summer internship), but I can't wait to be a part of the mayhem. Even if I don't see Kate & William.. I already saw them back in February :)

I think I have more than enough to do for the next 8 days. Me and London have some serious bonding to do.

Until next blog post.. Happy Easter!!


xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment