Monday, February 21, 2011

15 hours in Glasgow

Well that was yet another exciting weekend in Europe. On Friday night, after running from Victoria underground station to the bus station (not as close as I would've hoped), Alex and I hopped on our plush, luxurious Megabus that would get us in Glasgow in 8 hours. By luxurious I mean we had cramped, aisle seats next to complete strangers. At least my stranger didn't sleep on my shoulder like Alex's did! Glasgow welcomed us at 8 a.m. with chilly temperatures, rain and gloom. After getting our plans together for the day, we headed to George Square to pick up a sightseeing bus that would let us get on and off at various places around the city. Even though we found ourselves waiting for the bus a lot throughout the day, and wasting some time, we were able to see a lot of the city and stay semi-warm while doing it! I would say it was worth my 9 pounds. Here are some pictures!

near Merchant City -->


University of Glasgow... must be nice to have such a beautiful school!


me and the Kelvingrove Art Museum



Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to get to the Kelvingrove Art Museum thanks to late buses and me retracing my steps to find a lost earring (never did find it... if it's not one thing it's another, I swear). So Alex and I headed back into town to find some dinner and ended up at Waxy O'Connors.. an Irish pub. For some reason, we ran into a lot of Irish pubs/restaurants in Glasgow. When we asked our Scottish waitress about it she said, "I guess people just like the Irish better." Hmmm. 

Anyway, we split the fish/chips and the ham/colcannon meals. Colcannon is a traditional Irish food, potatoes with cabbage. Yum... Waxy O'Connors knew the way to my heart. And the fish and chips was "lush" as the British would say. aka delicious.

We then headed to a sports bar of the sorts... fun atmosphere but not for us. So we then found ourselves at Molly Malones, another Irish pub that has live music on Saturday nights. Alex and I are suckers for live music and pubs. When we got to the pub, we quickly saw that the guy to girl ratio was about 200 guys to 4 or 5 girls... 2 of them being me and Alex. We plopped ourselves right up front next to where the band was setting up and for about an hour got to listen to some amazing music.... especially the guy with the harmonica. So much talent! At 10 we made our way back to the bus, thinking we'd get a good seat being so early and all... but no.. once again had to sit in aisle seats next to strangers until a lovely lady offered two seats next to each other for me and Alex. pheww... I think we actually got some sleep on that bus ride! barely... once I got back to my dorm room I passed out for another 5 hours or so haha

So that was that, 15 hours in Glasgow, 16 hours on a bus. What an adventure. I think we had a lot of fun.. I'm learning to look past the smaller negatives (cold weather, being tired, etc.) to just enjoy where I am. I had one day in Glasgow and yes it was freezing, yes I was exhausted.. but I still saw a lot and had a great time with Alex! 

Here I am: 2:30 p.m., already had my one class of the day. Time to work on some applications and papers. Ugh! Now that I actually I have work to do, I'm not quite sure I remember how to! But once I get these out of the way, Mel is visiting this weekend so that'll be fun to show her around London. Weird that I'll be the tour guide this time! That I actually know my way around London! Then next weekend is the much anticipated trip to Paris. :) And then Manchester, then Spain, then Berlin/Switzerland, Italy, Nice and back to London for the Royal Wedding and my last few weeks in England. Crazy. But I couldn't be happier!

xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment