Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 1

I'm here!

Yesterday (Jan. 1) I left Boston via American Airlines at around 7:30 p.m. Business class is quite spectacular... they didn't stop feeding me, roasted nuts, fruits, cheese, bread, an Indian cuisine for dinner and hot fudge sundaes for dessert...! I'll take it. Thank you dad's plane mileage. Unfortunately, I only got 2 hours of sleep (more or less.. probably less). Sooo I'm basically exhausted right now. Must. Fight. Jet. Lag. Its 9:30 p.m. over here in London so if I can get to bed soon and wake up at a reasonable hour, I should be back on track.

Anyway! Once I landed I maneuvered through Heathrow's Terminal 3... from the countless numbers of international travelers to the remains (unclaimed luggage) of Heathrow's snow storm catastrophe last week. Grabbed a cart, threw my over 100 lbs. of luggage on it and went to the shuttle station that would bring me to my hotel in Bloomsbury (semi-near City University). When I got on the shuttle, I was greeted by the song "Like a G6." And even though I hate that song in the U.S., I had to laugh when I heard it on British radio. Comforting in a way!

It was 10 a.m. when I got to the hotel, but because I couldn't check in until 2 p.m., I had to leave my bags and find something to do for 4 hours. Definitely didn't have a problem with that. First I started at the British Museum which was right next door.


Even though I wasn't interested in half of what the museum had to offer... I saw the Rosetta Stone, took a picture, browsed the gift shop, sat in the great hall and people watched (and was approached by a man with a little boy clearly about to go #2 in his pants, looking for the bathroom. I couldn't be of much help.) Then I went across the way to Starbucks where I paid an arm and a leg for a chai tea and sat people watching everyone entering and leaving the museum. Interesting to say the least. I saw a lot of females wearing Timberland boots... I didn't know those were "in."

After sitting there for a while, I started walking without really knowing where I was going. Sure enough, I end up on Oxford Street (aka one of the best shopping districts). Just what I needed... amazing shopping and not much else to do besides... shop. London is taking advantage of me already. I went to a cute store, Dorothy Perkins, in search of a casual boot... so I asked the young female workers for their advice, what the latest trends were, what girls are wearing, etc. In case any of you are wondering, a heeled or wedge boot that cuts off at the ankle is "in."

I kept wandering and then headed back to the hotel, checked in, and then headed back out again. More shopping and browsing and people watching... a lot more walking.. and I ended up in Covent Garden (another huge shopping, dining district). More walking led me to SoHo and ChinaTown... then to Picadilly Circus where all the broadway shows are and big Times Square-like signs.



After that I made my way back to my hotel, stopping to get some Thai Food (yum!) for dinner. Pricey but delicious. All of the shops closed at 6 p.m. because it's Sunday but the restaurants and pubs stayed opened. There are so many people out and about! And they're from all over the world. It's so interesting just to observe everything. I think people think I'm a Brit... I've been asked for directions 3 times today. And 2 out of 3 times I knew the right directions. Go me! 

It's been a busy 24 hours and I can't wait to get some much needed sleep tonight! I love being in London and it's all finally hitting me. This is my home for the next four months and I could not be more happy or thankful to be here. I love the people, I love the culture and atmosphere... I feel so safe and comfortable walking around. It's great!

Tomorrow is move-in day. Can't wait to meet some fellow study abroad students!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment