Wednesday, January 12, 2011

There is in London all that life can afford

It's Wednesday at 2:30 and I'm already done classes for the week... weird. Yesterday I had British Media, Performing Arts and International News. British Media seems fairly interesting, but I felt a little lost seeing as I don't know anything about the media in London, but most of the British or full year kids in my class do. For example, just like I know the major magazines, newspapers, television stations in America, they know the major forms of media in London. Performing Arts is going to be a great class because most of the time we'll just be going to plays, musicals, operas, etc. Even though its 60 quid, it will be worth it! And the professor is this quirky theater connoisseur and actress with maroon-ish hair and lots of enthusiasm... aka who you would want to teach you about British theater. And thankfully, its also the same professor I have for my Wednesday Historic London class, which is basically all about London. Each class we'll have to meet her at a different spot around London and from there we go on historic walking tours. For example, we'll be at Westminister, Tower of London and The City (financial district about 10 minutes from where my dorm is).

Also on Tuesdays I have International News, and while it should be an interesting lecture... the professor put me to sleep. Lots of pausing, talking in circles, no real focus, always looking at his notes... Ayyy caramba. But next week we have the senior editor of Reuters (international news agency) coming to speak to us, so that should be really interesting!

In the Historic London class (all American students except one from Hong Kong, two from Brazil) today we had to group into "places we're from" and then present our states/cities to the class and why they should visit. There were about 7 of us from Massachusetts, one is actually from Westborough (town right next to me back home!). Basically Boston is the best city ever and telling everyone about the sports teams, shopping, Cape Cod, North End, central location, etc.... really made me miss it! There's no place like home! And now... London is becoming a home away from home (yes, after a little over a week!).

Last night me and some friends went back to that blues bar ('Round Midnight) because Alex and Vittorio (new friends at City) were playing at the open mic night. I love the atmosphere of the place, everyone is so laid-back and local... it's a good change of scenery if you want to get out of the clubs or average pubs. But then again, there are no average pubs here. I love being able to go to a pub on any given night and just have a pint with friends. It's so simple but so fun.

Alex, Jackie, Liz, Jen, Andrei, Betsy, Katherine, Jordan and I are all going to Oxford on Saturday! I haven't been there since senior year of high school with Cate and her aunt/uncle so I am SO excited to go back. I wish I could've studied in Oxford, I love it that much! This will be the first of our out of London adventures... can't wait!

Here's a quote that was on Vittorio's facebook the other day:


When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford -Samuel Johnson
xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment