Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I love London

I've been here for almost 4 days and I am already having the time of my life!

I got to my dormitory Monday, moved in without any problems. Courtney you were right, it looks like a jail cell of a room! But I put photos up and a few pieces of artwork (same Andy Warhol posters I've had in my dorm/apartment bedroom for the past few years. It's starting to feel a bit more comfortable! I'm on the third floor of Finsbury Hall, on my side of the floor there are two wings, one end is for girls, the other end is guys. I met a few guys the first day, Alex (British, fellow ginger), Sam (British), Vittorio (Italian) and Algie (Lithuanian) and two girls, Louise (Belgian) and Luda (British). They were all super nice and welcoming... so thankful for that! Two other Americans (one from Marquette!!!) just moved in yesterday.

After unpacking I headed down the road about 10 minutes to an area called "Angel" which is where the tube is. There are a bunch of shops and grocery stores in that area so I was able to pick up some random essentials, hangers, a few plates, silverware, etc. When I got back I ran directly into this girl Jen, who is also from Marquette! She was headed out to Angel so I literally dropped off my stuff in my room and headed back to Angel again. We grocery shopped and picked up some extra pillows, got lost walking back to campus with our many bags. Not cool.

We've been out the past few nights, to a club on Monday night (so fun but very expensive and very far away!) It was in Leicester Square so as we were leaving the club all I had to do was look up and there was Big Ben and the London Eye. Beautiful. To save some money last night a group of us went to a live jazz club up the road... it was awesome. Cozy, a bunch of locals, great live music. Then we wandered and ended up a pub. We were the only ones there because it was past 12 and pubs aren't allowed to serve alcohol past 12 here. It was still a lot of fun! We played darts... I gave it a good effort but darts just aren't my thing I guess. It's great having the first year City students show us around because they've been here and know the best places to go. They've all been really helpful!

Few other errands have happened here and there, we bought cell phones, got our student cards at the student center, did some orientation things today (rather boring and we were exhausted!)... also, found out the university's mascot is the carrot. Say what?? Since when did vegetables become mascots. I feel like there are better options. Oh well!

p.s. just got invited to a rugby match on Sunday by my British friend Teddy. This is so British and so awesome. I'm in love with being here!

I'll update more soon! This was already a long enough blog post... pictures to come soon too! :)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment