Saturday, January 15, 2011

What a lovely day in Oxford! We had no trouble getting to and from Oxford, and the bus trip was only an hour or so. We all slept on the way there.. late night last night! It was "indie night" at the 02 Academy club up the street about 15 minutes... a different scene than we were used to but still fun.

When we arrived in Oxford we headed to the Christ Church. So beautiful. I'd been there before but it doesn't get old.


After that we walked around the city of Oxford and in a park on the Thames River. I have to admit, the gloomy/cold weather is a bit miserable, and I'm forgetting what the sun looks like... but the scenery is gorgeous nonetheless. I absolutely love Oxford and it was so nice to be back there after a few years... I wish Marquette hadn't cancelled its program at one of the smaller colleges in Oxford (St. Clare's?) because I would've loved to study in that city. It's the perfect size.. maintains its country-ish feel but isn't lacking in things to see and do.

We had some delicious food today, too. For lunch: yummy Italian food (I got penne, sun dried tomato pesto, pancetta). For a snack: home-made, warm cookie from Ben's Cookies in the Covered Market. For dinner: a Cornish pasty as its called... basically a pot pie sandwich, crust stuffed with beef, onions, potatoes, turnip. YUM.

Purchases of the day: two postcards, an Oxford U. tea towel, a ring from Top Shop, a British flag mug (touristy of me I know, but I'm drinking tea from it right now), and two books from an Oxford bookstore. Every book in the store was only 2 pounds! Now that's a deal.

Overall, successful day and successful first adventure for us. Next up on the list: Galway/Dublin. We're going to start looking into tickets within the next few days!


xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment