Monday, January 31, 2011

Yesterday me, Jen, Alex and Louise went on an adventure to check out the Spitalfields Market which is supposedly London's oldest market. It was MASSIVE. I could've spent all day there but due to some frustrating financial dilemmas, I didn't have a pound to my name. Which leads me to one of my annoyances about London: it basically shuts down on the weekend. ATMs are not serviced at all. I went to 4 different ATMs yesterday and they were all out of money. Grrr! Maybe it was a blessing in disguise... saving me some money because there were so many things I would've purchased! From jewelry to crafty T-shirts to delicious looking pastries and international food of all sorts, the market has everything. But once again, a place I can always go back to :)

I feel like all me and my girlfriends talk about is food but really, there is some amazing food here. We are all in love with the chocolate au pain pastry (basically a croissant with chocolate in it), we all can't get enough chips (especially from Kennedy's down the road) and we're loving our Cadbury and Milka bars. There's talk of getting English breakfast (toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, beans, hash brown) on Wednesday morning before our walking tour (of the Tower of London!!!). I've been cutting back lately though and am finally cooking the majority of my dinners and lunches. And when I do cook dinner, I cook enough for leftovers the next night. Tonight: leftover meat sauce pasta. yum.

Three more days until Ireland! We're getting our plans together now and it looks like we'll be flying into Dublin and arriving before noon. Then we're hoping to do a Guinness factory tour and look around Dublin. Then we'll take the bus to Galway where we are staying Thursday/Friday night at Katherine's friend's flat (so thankful for that!). On Friday I think we're going on a day trip bus tour to several areas including some caves, a little town on the coast and the Cliffs of Moher. Sunny, dry days when we're in Ireland might be wishful thinking, but I can hope!

And then before I know it, that trip will be over and we'll be off to Munich a few days later. We're still working on April plans because there are 4 of us who want to definitely go to Italy together, but Eastern Europe and Spain plans are still kind of up in the air! But Alex, brought up a good point, even if we don't get to travel as much as we wanted or get to everywhere on our list... we're still in London for 4 months and that's way more than good enough! I'm in London for 4 months. I'm the luckiest girl.

P.S. the sun is out today and there are clear skies... meaning, it's a good day :)

Here's a picture I took at Portobello Market that I submitted to my Visual Journalism class:

No comments:

Post a Comment